I used to like cash.
Of course, it was back when I was younger and cared how others viewed me.
I would love getting paid.
Going to the ATM, pulling out some cash so any time I’d go out.
I thought I was cool whipping out a wad of 20’s and look like a big shot.
That all seems like a lifetime ago now.
These days, I don’t really carry cash.
Not even for emergencies since almost everyone takes credit cards.
I prefer to travel lightly, carrying as little on my person as possible.
It just makes sense not to load up my wallet (and pockets) with unnecessary stuff.
Now, I prefer to use credit cards for every purchase if I can.
Don’t take this as me telling you how to live your own life.
If you haven’t been able to figure out by now, that’s not how I roll.
I don’t believe that what I do is something that should be followed by everyone.
I’m not one of those people.
Far from it.
So, why do I hate cash so much?
The reasons are many (and not very serious at times):
- You don’t get rewarded to use it
- There isn’t a special, exclusively colored version to show your true “status”
- It’s slow to count out when making a purchase
- And if you want to use exact change it really is a pain in the ass to find that last coin needed
- There is no security measures built-in in case of theft
- You can’t get help disputing a purchase
- It’s stinky
- It’s Filthy
- It feels funny to the touch
- It’s bulky to carry around
- It can rip
- And if it rips, some places won’t accept it
- Vending machines definitely won’t take it ripped
- Coins are heavy
- They make a lot of noise in your pocket
- When a coin drops it can roll under heavy objects
- When cash is lost it’s lost forever
- It’s difficult to keep track of if you aren’t meticulous
- If you don’t keep the receipt, you’ll never remember what It was spent on
- It’s racist: there are only dead white dudes’ images on money
- It doesn’t give you any kind of insurance
- You can’t customize it with a picture of your pet or kid
- Pennies. Need I say more?
- You have to go out of your way to get it from the ATM
- And in an emergency, it takes too long to transfer it between banks
That’s pretty much it…for now.
I’m sure I will think of more ways in which cash sucks from time to time, but this should be enough to get me in a bit of trouble with some of the anti-credit or pro-cash people 😆
It’s cool though, I don’t mind people disagreeing with me as long as they can back it up with a little more than an “Uh, because…” response.
Besides, this was kind of fun!